Elijah Rushing Hayes




my pretty friend poured wine down my mouth. it swiveled down my throat onto my shirt. i looked like i had eaten my own arm. 



 


once i felt so much love for a woman my insides dropped out. now they sit inside me a well-tight meat sack. i would rather not remove my clothes.



 


once someone loved me so much they fit inside my armpit. they were like a pyramid or anything else. they liked hotdogs. they were there and then not.



Elijah Rushing Hayes is a transgender man from Alabama. His writing has appeared in jubilat, The Boiler, BOOTH, Hayden’s Ferry Review and other various journals. He is the author of the chapbooks Mad Dances for Mad Kings (Factory Hollow Press, 2015) and There Is One Crow That Will Not Stop Cawing (Another New Calligraphy, 2016). He earned his MFA in poetry from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He is an editor for Biscuit Hill, an online poetry journal. He can be contacted at elijahrushinghayes@gmail.com.