The art of writing #67 : Anna Veprinska

 

How did you first come to poetry? What is it about the form that resonates?

I remember asking my father for a notebook when I was seven years old. I would spend hours penciling poems in that notebook – silly, trite, infantile pieces, but poems, even then, that I took very seriously. At seven, my writing of poetry closely coincided with my learning to speak and write in English (my family immigrated to Canada from Ukraine when I was five). Poetry, then, coincided with my acquisition of language. I think because of this my poems are often concerned with language. Sometimes my poems are nothing more than a fascination with the way words touch and resist one another on the page.

For me, the form of poetry – open, pliable, unrestrained even in constrained forms – allows for this exploration of language. Poetry’s form also allows for exploration of the non-linguistic: spacing, silence, visuals, etc. I find the compression of poetry fascinating – the dance between what is said and what is not said. A poem does not need to explain itself. It does not need to make an argument. As the great Claudia Rankine notes, “poetry has no investment in anything besides openness. It’s not arguing a point. It’s creating an environment.

How does a poem begin?

Since I have already confessed my obsession with language, it won’t come as a surprise that a poem, for me, typically begins there: with a word or a line, which I weigh on the tongue, then on the page. A word like
thumbprint or earmarked, for example. The sounds of these words. Occasionally, when I am lucky, I wake out of language, meaning I have dreamt a line that I remember well enough to write down.

When I read or listen to a conversation, I sometimes wonder how people grasp language, how they hold its slippery body, how they write or say anything. I think that thrusts me back into the feeling of learning this language, of looking at it with fresh eyes. I often look up words in the dictionary, even when I know their meaning. I don’t trust myself around language. A poem begins there as well.

Between your text and visual work, do you see your writing as a single, extended project, or a series of threads that occasionally weave together to form something else?

My first collection of poetry, now long out of print, was a multimedia text combining photographs and poems. I am deeply interested in photography, because, like a poem, a photograph has the potential to frame and open, document and question. When I can, I continue this conversation between photographs and poems, between visuals and text. I think the answer to your question is both: the visuals and text are both one, extended project and separate threads. Although the visuals and text speak their own dialects, they also speak to one another; they collaborate; they ask similar questions. For instance, in my visual work, I am highly attentive to light: its presence, its absence, its colour, its meanderings. I am currently working on a collection of poems about memory. And isn’t memory also about the play between light and dark, about what we shed light on and what remains in the shadows?

Have you a daily schedule by which you work, or are you working to fit this in between other activities?

The answer to this question constantly shifts for me. I sometimes keep to a daily or weekly schedule of writing for months or even a year, but other times, especially after finishing or (to use Paul Valéry’s term) abandoning a certain project, writing becomes a more passive activity; I write words and lines nearly daily, but I receive them more than I seek them out.

I once heard a writer quote Lynda Barry’s instruction to “touch the work every day.” This can be a large or small gesture: altering a word or re-reading a poem, for example. For many years I have kept these words on a notepad on my laptop. When I am at my best, I am touching the work every day.

What are your favourite print or online literary journals?

In addition to
talking about strawberries all of the time (of course! Does everyone say this?), I admire Arc Poetry Magazine, The /tƐmz/ Review, Parentheses, Hamilton Arts & Letters, The Puritan, Room, CV2, The Malahat Review, The Fiddlehead, Waxwing Magazine, The Kenyon Review, The Paris Review, and The Yale Review, among others. There is so much fantastic writing being printed in literary journals, and I am in awe of the labour and care of the editors of these journals.

Who are some of the writers you are reading lately that most excite you?

I just finished reading Anne Michaels’s
Fugitive Pieces, which is truly breathtaking. It’s a novel, but it feels like an extended lyric poem. Among more recent works, I am excited by Ilya Kaminsky’s Deaf Republic, Kaveh Akbar’s Pilgrim Bell, Valzhyna Mort’s Music for the Dead and Resurrected, Billy-Ray Belcourt’s NDN Coping Mechanisms: Notes from the Field, Madhur Anand’s This Red Line Goes Straight to Your Heart, and Kate Siklosi’s gorgeous visual poems in leavings. I am also excited by the work my creative writing students produce – it is a privilege having a front row seat to the growth of new and forthcoming poets.

 

 

 


Anna Veprinska is a poet, scholar, and immigrant-settler living in the greater Toronto (Tkaronto) area. Her publications include Empathy in Contemporary Poetry after Crisis (Palgrave Macmillan, 2020), which received Honourable Mention in the Memory Studies Association First Book Award, Spirit-clenched (Gap Riot Press, 2020), and Sew with Butterflies: poems (Steel Bananas, 2014). Her poetry was shortlisted for the 2021 Austin Clarke Prize in Literary Excellence and was a finalist for Best of the Net in 2022. She holds a PhD from York University and is a current SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Toronto. Twitter @splitendedpoem.

A selection of her work appeared in the eighth issue.