Shelagh Rowan-Legg

 

if time did not exist, what would happen to poetry?

 

pi

 

 

 

 

The Mirror Crack’d

 

but what if I prefer
          to only see myself
   in pieces         

                               I can feel for the part
                               in my hair from the
                               horseshoe bump 

          If I only line my
          left eye, I won’t
          see the umbrella bruise
          under my right 

                                         At least I can see both shoulders
                                         I keep a pot of salt on the dresser 

                     Did I mention that I was born
                     on the 13th? 

seven after seven after seven
          something always breaks
          that reflects me

there are scars enough
          on my fingers

If a piece went missing
          maybe I was better off
          without it

 

 

 

 

Restraint

 

you have asked me
to show you
gentle mercy
in touch 

and I have tried
to honour
your one request
each time 

but each time
I am crouched
like a tiger
waiting 

and I am caught
red-handed
in the bedroom
again

 

 

 

 

The Long Dark

 

When the black dog
waits in the shadows
I will take a pin
poke holes in my skin
stand under morning rays
to create a sun inside 

 

 

 



Shelagh Rowan-Legg (she/her) is a writer and filmmaker. Her work has been published in Taddle Creek, New Poetry, Carousel, and numerous other magazines, including an upcoming publication in the spring edition of The Windsor Review. Her short films have screened at festivals around the world, and she is Contributing Editor for ScreenAnarchy.