John Levy

 

An Ant Standing on Its Tiptoes

“First of all,” my late father says, “an ant doesn’t have toes. They have heels. You could tell me the ant was standing on its tipheels.” “I did begin my story with Once upon a time,” I remind my late father.

 

 

 

The Map

As we were parting, and going different directions in the forest, Dag asked me to wait because he wanted to give me something. He took out of his pocket a small folded piece of paper and handed it to me. I opened it. A map, with what seemed to be paths leading out from a central hub, but the paths were not like straight spokes in a wheel. They angled and curved, some almost circled back upon themselves before straightening out then bending and wavering again. Each path has a small name in a language I didn’t recognize. For a moment I thought there might be an arrow, or X, with a YOU ARE HERE, but there wasn’t. While I was looking at the map, Dag was walking away and now he’s almost hidden behind the trees. A bird begins to sing. No, that’s Dag.

 

 

 

Note to Billy Mills (12/21/23)

dunnocks
live for about two years 

this small 

passerine, perching

bird, high-pitched voice, oddly
long
             middle toe pointing down from the thin branch 

where the dunnock per-
ches 

(Prunella Modularis) modu-
lating voice      the notes             arriving   modularquick
units of song          the dunnock belongs 

to a family 

called         “the accentors”

dunnocks
are cover- 

loving birds, sometimes re-
ferred
                         to as                             hedge sparrows 

though they’re not
sparrows       
                           & 

in your poem           one is
                                                       “high in the willow”

 

 

 

Snail Goodness

I thought he said, “snail goodness.” He paused after those words. “Yes, I can forgive myself for all my slownesses,” I said to myself, “when I think of a snail.” The shell with a spiral. How a snail is not vicious (though a leaf might disagree, as well as a gardener). How my daughter loved snails in my parents’ garden─when she was small she liked to place them on her forearms and watch them slide up toward her elbow. He seemed finished with his thought, and I said I loved the phrase “snail goodness.” “Huh,” he said, “that’s nice, but where are you coming from?” “I thought you just said that.” “No, I said small goodness.”

 

 

 

I am

world bound, word bound, mistake
bloud, cloud fan, shaped flood, dream
kin, shaped blood, symphony

 

 

 

Rain on Clear Plastic Umbrellas (Kyoto, December 2018)

The umbrellas held by women in kimonos on this crowded
Gion street, the plastic umbrellasclear wet metal-ribbed domes 

I see through the rain
between me and themme in my ordi- 

nary dull unceremonial garb, and my hair upon which

I lavished less than one-hundredth the time (more
like one-thousandth?) than this woman in front of me with her hair 

in a high exquisite bun. I turn left, to go
to The Forever Museum while she 

keeps going, in our rain, her rain, mine, our exquisite time

in Gion.

 

 




John Levy lives in Tucson. His most recent book of poetry is 54 poems: selected & new (Shearsman Books, 2024).