Stan Rogal


Fake Bio #__

                                    To write about one’s life in terms of a subjective “I” … is to
                                    fulfill the terms of the oppressor. I suppose I don’t know who
                                    this "I" would or could speak for. Myself, what for?
                                                                     (John Yau)

…conceived & born in Hong Kong, China, March 5, 19__, early on emigrated to Brisbee, Arizona, grew up in Needles, California (in the Mojave Desert), transplanted as a teen to Vancouver, British Columbia, due to an impetuous (perhaps ill-considered) affaire de coeur moved to Toronto, Ontario Do you speak English? Do you enjoy American movies? American food? American music? Are you married or? I like you very much, I the sentimental horrors encroach & recede repeatedly, the word is memory the child recalls, memory is a journal of the month of July, 19__ based on notes, writings, & a series of 1116 selfies Each by Zealously many dangeRs mAde stood with a wild staring expression & strabismus of the right eye, a portrait void of appearance yet replete w/animal gait, bright orange poppy next to white rose next to blue larkspur & so on, see me fuzzy around the edges & kinder, fraught-haired & wearing a red V-necked sweater, I am leaping like the pieces of a bomb, like organic shrapnel, do you hear me? It’s all japlish or ebonics (I always wished I could be funny-er, ha-ha) or perhaps a boneless hand fondling a stranger’s thigh, I mean, do I require arrowheads or dreadlocks to reach my rawest thoughts? Black lips black teeth black tongues spit out music, a story familiar as (n.b.: coming up soon, a discussion on the several uses of torture, plus, while on holiday, a Brazilian bookmobile being hijacked in a dark underground garage fiction). An idea takes shape taking shape such & such. Secretly, I am still “__________ The Mysterious” trying to remember where in time I am, what place. & what pale & what golden shimmied into paradise. In the parlance of permanence many light bulbs need replacing. Here where I uncovered my affection for the wheel & the screw. I am fastening the machine together w/delicate wire. Strips of bacon, eggs over easy, so the decades (pass) passed & pasture reverted to woodland. & so I go (went) with my little dog trotting through the melting snow to the corner store for cigarettes, orange juice & the newspaper. Below that attention, ape sense, with only the language of chemistries, outwardly calm, singularly composed, affectionately yours, sincerely, truly, gradually fading, &etc…


 

First Person Irregular

… not that I am or have ever claimed to have been a green thing in a quiet house no … possessed of a personality that shifted/shifts, depending … duck & cover, rummage & wonder, flash & bolt … an idea takes shape taking shapes such&such … not a brick layer but a bricoleur … here I occur in all my singular deformities … “a structure of mortarless enjambments” … a pile of blowing leaves on an otherwise pristine lawn … first light then shadow then after-image then memory … “the mutability of identity across time & space” … a little morose, a little pretty [I wish sometimes (often) I were a sharp steely knife — Swiss army issue — carried open & dangerous inside a loose trouser pocket] … in any case too busy screening my innermost thoughts & emotions to be of any real or immediate threat … look! here’s a photo of me at two, here at ten, here at fourteen, then nothing, no further trace … but then, what is a child composed of except nudity & laughter, a portrait void of appearance yet replete w/animal gait … equivalent lisp, immanent departure … this hill (for instance), that meadow, these woods, though convenient for a picnic, a walk, a hike, a plein air painting, an impassioned tumble in the tall grass, are temporary temporarily available only … “over, over, there is a soft place in my heart for all that is over” sd Beckett … each scene as accidental as it is inevitable … how a street turns into sensation as the curve opens … cause & effect begin to shed their clothes momentarily … a preoccupation w/verbal elements as objects that can be arranged to any purpose: to dazzle, to astonish, to move … this plausible form thinks itself a garden, sans the usual accoutrements: fountains, stone paths, greenery, the ubiquitous bearded plaster gnomes, &ETC — the artist painted the tree thus against that sky the tree alive w/invisible birds in no leaves — … [this is getting quite good, isn’t it? something slightly less than compelling though almost worth the ride, yes?] … so, I must be talking, I feel my lips move in such a fashion … I mean, is yr radio active? … are you feeling that others can hear yr thoughts or control yr behaviour? call the ‘psychic friends’ helpline now; in just seven days learn to read palms like a professional; perform in-home exorcisms for fun & profit; discover how saints & angels haunt the empty churches at midnight, forgotten by the gob-smacked swarms of daytime tourists; lose forty pounds in forty days w/o strict dieting or strenuous exercises; give yrself an instant facelift w/o the pain of needles; warning, this program is intended for mature listening audiences only, discretion is advised; contains coarse language, violence, scenes of an explicitly sexual nature, graphic re-enactments of actual murder cases, plus lurid descriptions of the slaughtered victims interlaced w/bitter irony & biting social commentary … jesus take the wheel! … [the path to god being ambiguity & vice versa, we proceed w/reckless abandon] … “discrepant engagement” … “liberation theology” … “the principle of insufficiency” … yadda-yadda … yeah, been that, done there, burned the tee shirt … never immune to the lure of flesh & glitz & awe … stocky, thick-shouldered w/blunt features & a rough complexion … [such was the very armour I had on] … a blue-collar “type” who drives an old beater car, drinks & smokes heavily … a one who has sucked the clear milk out of a chopped cactus, drank piss at times (I admit // I miss a bathtub // & a toilet // with a lid // & a handle // & a door) … begin (always) with the mundane, the ordinary: morning coffee, toast, half a banana, the weekend newspaper folded to the funnies, days that are long & decked out in thunder … must learn to demystify life so can live it, I mean, why does the cereal box have so much to say it’s just cereal inside for pity’s sake … for a while a year is a long time then it isn’t when [oh, wait, I didn’t tell you about the terrifying creature living beneath my bed w/hair [[long mangy hair]] yet, did I? & luminous green eyes, & pointy teeth [[fangs, really, though]], no I thought not, anyway … (bent low, cups the hands to light a cigarette with a struck match) … they tell me lawn chairs are making a comeback expecting me to care I don’t care … the ones who strive to be good, these are the dangerous ones, those many who want to make buttons out of my bones … face it, there are occasions when you’d be mightily satisfied with a single healthy fart to ease the bloat … listen! someone’s att’n span just sprung a leak — kablooie! … reminds me of someone I used to know (younger) in beige shorts, black socks & brown sandals, a “pandemonium of paradoxical symmetries” … lost in no blue woods along the flood of morning, or, whatever … hey, if you were really ok you wouldn’t turn up all covered in fog … think about it … you look out on, say, a treed field, say, & hanging leaves, with a river, say, on the other side, or (turning slowly the leaves of the book, say, the seasons alter) … even in the sun you are careful not to step in the snow, such is habit … meanwhile the dog & I stand & watch the train pass … & pass … & pass [it’s an enormously long train with seemingly endless storage containers, each tagged, heading somewhere somewhere distant] … I was once mysterious myself, a rarity, until the others arrived, then not, or (at the least) not so much anymore … ah well, think maybe I’ll go home, maybe relax, maybe read a book, maybe have a drink, maybe paint my ass blue or set my head on fire … but there you go, by the way … maybe … 

 




Stan Rogal: I reside in Toronto. Work has appeared in numerous magazines and anthologies in Canada, the US and Europe. The author of several books plus a handful of chapbooks. An autodidactic intellectual classicist [reformed]. Speaks semi-fluent English and controversial French. Neo-Luddite and frequent tilter at windmills.