Ian Seed

 

Reminder

 

I have only just buried my father. As I’m leaving the cemetery, my mobile rings. It’s my boss wanting the report I’ve forgotten.

 

 

Elegy

 

Looking more closely, I see that the white flowers on the green are patterned to form the words of a poem, though this can only be seen from a certain angle. My daughter holds my hand to comfort me.

 

 

Bar

 

I exchange a brief smile with the man playing piano. He’s about the same age as me and I find myself wishing I’d learnt to play an instrument. It would compensate for the life I’ve led and all the ones I haven’t.

 

 

Decades Later

 

Walking down Oxford Street with my daughter, I point up to a high curved window on a corner: ‘That was where I used to teach English as a Foreign Language,’ I say, realising as I’m saying it that I’m misremembering and pointing at the wrong building, but not wanting to spoil the moment by correcting myself.

 

 

Promise

 

Just as I’m about to take the train home, the gruff, old man I’ve been waiting for all day long turns up. Now I can row you across the lake, he says with a surprisingly disarming smile – all the way to that island, he adds, pointing into the distance. But by this time, I’m hungry, there are storm clouds gathering, and just a few moments ago a woman whispered to me that in reality the island was no more than a tiny rock, on which the old man and I would barely fit.

 

 

Trunks

 

While walking in the forest, I came upon a young man stripping by the side of the path, until he was in his bathing trunks. I felt envious. I would have loved an outdoor swim myself, even though there was a nip in the air. But where was he going to swim? He stepped off the path into some swampy water I hadn’t noticed before because it merged so perfectly with the darkness of the trees. As he began his breaststroke, the water released a sulphurous stink, but still I would have joined him if only I’d had my trunks with me.

 

 




Ian Seed is the author of several collections of poetry and translation, the most recent of which are Night Window (Shearsman Books, 2024), The Dice Cup (from the French of Max Jacob) (Wakefield Press, 2022), and Operations of Water (Knives, Forks & Spoons Press, 2020). His poetry and essays have appeared in number of anthologies, including Dreaming Awake: New Contemporary Prose Poetry from the United States, Australia, and the United Kingdom (MadHat Press, 2023), The Encounter: A Handbook of Poetic Practice (Parlor Press, 2022), and The Forward Book of Poetry 2017 (Faber&Faber). See www.ianseed.co.uk