Martha Ellen

 

 

Benzo Brain #2 [am]

why did oma leave her baby on the street// tante hid babies from the nazis// uncle george died camped near bowling green// i hate the confederacy and the nazis// i love oma i’ll write a poem about her// your dad tried to murder me when you were a baby// it’s true// i hate him// i hate mauve// i hate the word mauve// don’t tell me where to park// broccoli beef for lunch// the gate scares me// i hate whales// weeds weeds weeds// why did oma leave her baby on the street//
i made it all up 

 

Benzo Brain #3
 

Heres a list of my
symptoms.” I’m not
crazy. Look. I’m nice.
See, doc, I smile. “Your
tests are normal.” I’m
not crazy. “How often
did you see Dr. Brown, dear?”  
I’m not crazy. EMDR.
You’re blocked. A dam
holds you back.” I’m
not crazy, CPTSD. “Let’s
try a little Klonopin.
Fuck you! I’m not crazy!”
Fuckin’  pieces of shit.
Condescending, white-coat
pushers. I hate you.

 

Benzo Brain #4
 

All my dollies said
Look out the window!
Now! They are coming,
They’re going to kill you!
Listen!” [My dolls never
lie to me.] OK. A deathly
pallor embraced my face.
Hair falls out in clumps.
Falling in the basement
The floor is not that dirty.
My soul floats, glowing over
me ….. ohhhhhhhhhhh
so beautiful. Jesus, take
me. I’m ready. Love You.
Bye, bye, dollies.

 

Benzo Brain #5

Its dark. Hansel left
me alone. All men leave.
None have ever loved
me. I don’t care. Hansel is
only a diminutive of Hans.
Useless. Silly. Pretty boy.
Take all the gingerbread.
Bread crumbs, the birds ate.
[I dig through horse shit.
I’ll find the pony.] Someone
whispers, “Don’t give up.
I love you.” Not mom;
not dad. Time and Patience
arrive with shiny pebbles.
Strong men swaddle me.
Their cloaks pulled tight
around. Easy. Breathe 5-5-5.

 




Martha Ellen lives alone in an old Victorian house on a hill on the Oregon coast. Retired social worker. History of social justice activism. Old hippie. MFA. Poems and prose published in various journals and online forums including North Coast Squid, oddball magazine, Unlikely Stories Mark V, Down in the Dirt Magazine, Hot Potato Magazine, Marrow Magazine, Persimmon Tree, Poem Alone, Silver Birch Press, Spindrift, Synchronized Chaos, The Blue Bird Word, WELL READ magazine, Writing in a Woman’s Voice and others. She writes to process her wild life.