John Levy

 

Poem Beginning with the First Line from
Maureen Scott Harris’ Poem
“LOOSENING GHAZAL” 

 

I wake from a dream of old friends not seen for years.

This morning I woke from a dream in which I was
on a stool, at a restaurant counter, and seated
next to me was a young woman, maybe in her
mid-20s, with black hair and a pale friendly face 

who introduced herself, if I remember correctly
right now, five-and-a-half hours after waking up,
as “Elaine Rabinowitz.” In the dream she was a complete 

stranger, as she is right now when I’m awake
too. It wasn’t too odd in the dream that she 

introduced herself and just before I woke I think

she said she was new to the town, wherever
we were. What was odder was that I knew
I’d never been in that restaurant before, and
when I sat down on that stool a woman 

(is it politically incorrect now to call her a
waitress?) approached me and knew my name.
I don’t think I asked her if she knew me. 

It was as if I were a “regular” in the restaurant.
In my dreams I’m usually never a “regular” 

anywhere. This poem of mine is very 

different from your first line of your ghazal.
Your poem contains a moon, a small
plane, the earth, chimney
smoke, un- 

predecented snow, the branches of an
oak, memory/memories, the direction
east, the revolution 

of the earth, and, in the second line, a
“now.” But I list these 

out of order (that is, the order

in your ghazal). I wonder if in your childhood
you were ever in a scavenger hunt. I believe
I was in one, back in the days when – at least,
in Phoenix – someone rang the doorbell 

or knocked, the people inside weren’t
afraid to open the door. And I remember having a
list of random things and asking 

strangers if they had any of them, with the
expectation that since they were fairly 

cheap things they would be willing to part with them.

A button, say, or toothpick. I don’t remember
anyone being mean. Am I suggesting that the way
I listed “things” from your poem in any
way resembles that scavenger hunt 

from my past? Probably. At that party I was
with old friends, and maybe some of them are
dead now. Here are first two lines of YOUR poem: 

I wake from a dream of old friends not seen for years.
For all I know they’re dead—yet I remember them now.

 

  

 

It may be un-


comfortable to talk about any normal
dread, even more the dread when one, alone
in bed, can’t get 

to sleep, noise or not
outside, perhaps recalling the fears
of a small child at night in the dark. 

“You little fool,” no grown-up
said to me, in part because I didn’t talk
about being afraid and of what, and in part 

because I lucked out and the grown-ups
in my family and their friends
wouldn’t insult me. I would’ve been horrified 

had I known all of them would be dead
before me. I thought I’d die before I reached
11. That was a fact, like a tree trunk 

or a few blades of grass growing
out of a sidewalk crack. The grown-ups
lived like the trees and grass, near me 

and as there as all of nature, while I
waited for a person or animal
to murder me. My conviction 

it would be before I reached 11
came from nowhere, too, without
question.

 

 

Note to Frej Larsen (August 30, 2026)

  

Yesterday morning and today, this
morning, in the desert where we live
near
the city of Tucson, Leslie and I have walked
near still and walking and running baby
lizards. Some tinier
than a human infant’s little finger, I think,
though
it has been a while since I’ve seen one of those
little fingers 

whereas I’ve been seeing a lot of baby lizards.
Yesterday Leslie almost stepped on a very very
small baby horny toad, which sounds like it could
be a sort of frog, but it is a lizard that resembles
a dinosaur. Leslie has lived in Tucson almost all
her life (we did spend two years in a Greek
village) and this baby was the littlest horny toad
she had ever seen. This 

news
will not be on any front page, or start any
novella. But now I imagine starting a novel
with a character almost stepping
on the littlest horny toad she’d ever seen, and
the thrill of seeing it
would fill
a short paragraph that introduces
her, and the setting, and then 

she walks into the life she leads
in this novel, but suddenly she re-
turns, thinks she should’ve also looked
at the little shadow the lizard “threw”
and it hasn’t moved, and its
shadow
is
now
what she focuses on. And that’s the end
of Chapter One


 

The Bowls vs. The Tablecloths 

 

In our fourth grade Creative Writing class, Ms. Gladys Hastings Jones told us that although poets shouldn’t compete with each other, she would split the class into four teams. Frank raised his hand and asked if he could be the Captain of a team and said he’d name his team The Yankees. Ms. Jones said No, no poet would want to be the Captain of a team. Frank said she was wrong. She said Poets are wrong a lot of the time and Frank said he was too and that was why he would be a great Captain. Sally raised her hand and said she didn’t want to be a Captain and she would name her team The Bowls. I raised my hand and said I had never even dreamed of being any sort of Captain and I wanted to be on a team named The Tablecloths. Ms. Jones said Fantastic, we had two names for the first two teams. The whole class applauded at the same moment, as if we were programmed or hypnotized by Ms. Jones and all the Walt Whitman she’d been reading us for months. I looked at my hands meeting and separating, making that clapping noise, and remembered when Ms. Jones first talked about the body of a poem, the first day she told us she would be teaching Creative Writing and that poems have bodies like butterflies and eels and hummingbirds and squirrels and as she continued naming animals I kept hoping she’d name a lion or a firefly and finally she did, one after the other.

 

  

Note to Robyn Schelenz (August 25, 2026)

 

I thought today, on my drive home
from somewhere other 

than home, that I’d like to write a poem
titled “Eponymous.” It wouldn’t rhyme 

much, if I wrote it. I would hesitate
to populate it with a hippopotamus merely 

for the rhyme. I wonder if any time you’ve
walked Donut you’ve happened into another 

dog named, say, Scone. You’d only know
if you and the other dog “owner” (do 

any of us really own “our” dogs?) began
to talk, although you could also learn 

if that other human called out, “Here, Scone!”
Or, “Good girl, Scone!” But back to 

my thought about titling a poem “Eponymous.”
I like thinking of someone who doesn’t 

know the word, perhaps a child, seeing
pony in it and having no desire 

to look up the word, content with the
pony. The pony. I can imagine the child’s 

older brother or sister singing The rain in Spain
falls mainly on the pony, to keep the pony around.

 

 

  

Self-Portrait #411

 

This is my cacophony. I reach
for the harmony 

out of reach, welcome dis-

order, fast river carrying
bombed-out bridges, swirling
colors from clay banks,
dead fish, the 

trash, a roar of contrasts

and clashes of pitches─a music
scribbling prayers illegibly.

 

 

 

John Levy (he/him) lives on the outskirts of Tucson with his wife, the painter Leslie Buchanan. In 2023, Shearsman Books (UK) published his 54 poems: selected & new. In 2026, Yavanika Press (India) published a book of his note poems, Notes from Tucson.