Ken Sparling

 

short burst

 

There was a lot of water. It moved. Flowed. Rippled. Shadows depended on the structures that produced them, not on the light source. A single sun, whose position changed throughout the day, sat high above the horizon, but you could see that it would not be there later on. You could not easily detect motion. It was hard to focus. But you could continue to see, as long as you kept your eyes open. Based on your observations of the relative position of an object over time, you might surmise that it moved. There was a little path to the right that I hadn’t seen before. This surprised me, and I realized the extent of my ignorance in the fact that in all the times I had gone this way I’d been so overwhelmed by the volume of unfamiliar sights and experiences that I had failed to exercise what I had always thought of as an acute sensitivity to my surroundings. There was a large fallen tree lying sideways on the path. It must have blown over in the storm yesterday, but it was hard to know for sure, in this place, when it might have fallen. The indigents might have left it where it was for months, or even years, deciding that, for whatever inscrutable reason, this was a good location for it. I finished my walk and went back home. I ate my breakfast, then went and sat down in the living room. But after a time I decided he wanted to go back out and take some pictures of the fallen tree. I returned to find a group of what I understood to be townies standing around the fallen tree. They were having what I might have loosely termed a conversation. I stopped a good distance away from them to observe. It was always a good idea to gather information before inserting oneself into a situation. Their “conversation” was punctuated by long silences. In fact, it might have been more accurate to say that they were engrossed in a prolonged silence punctuated by short bursts of speech. One of them would say something, then all of them would look at the tree, nodding, or shaking their heads, then they would look back at each other and stand there in silence for another long while. Finally, someone else would say something, and the whole process would repeat itself. From where I was standing, I could not decipher what they were saying, I could only hear the quiet sound of their voices mixed with the song of the river behind them.

 





Ken Sparling has recent stories in R&R magazine. He is the author of eight novels. He is oninstagram @kensparling, and online at kensparling.ca and kensparling.github.io.