Shelagh Rowan-Legg

 

I am in need of the devil, but the crossroads are paved

I only ever saw you
from the corner of my
heart that was degrading. 

When you spoke, your
spittle flew in my mouth
and traveled down
to encourage its abasement. 

Perhaps age has relayed
your ennui to me. 

Perhaps I see the wilting
of the planet’s heart and that
kinship eases my loneliness. 

That was the crack in
my skin that you exploited. 

I will hide inside you,
if necessary,
to save my love,
or the world. 

Sometimes I miss you,
my reliable ache
in the dark.

  

 

most delicate objects

Hope can be made
from almost anything: 

peacock feathers pasted
to shark’s teeth; 

shed cat fur, webbed
around a rusted bed frame; 

eggshells, carefully reconstructed,
encircling boomerangs. 

If it must be sharp,
Let it be gilded.
Let it be a hidden weapon
nestling to the skin,
purring, ready to pounce. 

 

 

Sonder

Poems should hurt like love —Kenyatta Rogers

Fashion an instrument to
measure how far into their heart
you have wormed yourself; 

one that tests for
birdsong that doesn’t
yet exist, made of 

untreated willow bark.
Awl-out piercings, mapped
from your right hand 

and their left, and insert it
between the fourth and fifth rib. 

If this wormhole,
slender and twisting like
a rotary telephone cord 

is long enough, ask them
to breathe in, and out,
direct from their lungs. 

Does it pick up a tune?
Does it hurt like a poem
or does it sing like love?

 

 


Shelagh Rowan-Legg is a writer and filmmaker in Montréal. Her poetry and short stories have been published in numerous journals such as The Windsor Review, The Ampersand Review, and New Poetry. Her short films have screened at festivals around the world, and she is a Contributing Editor at ScreenAnarchy. Find her at shelaghrowanlegg.com and on Bluesky, @bonnequin.bsky.social.