Sam Strathman

 

Insomniac’s Log: Day Three

Sunday, January 28th, 2024
My Dear Suki,
There is no time, no space, only the here and now.
I already got the day off work tomorrow due to my lack of sleep.
The curtains are billowing breezy shapes. Yet they are also, at the same time, perfectly still.
The neon sign out back adds new dimensions to itself.
I recoil from the window, spinning out of my mind.
Did I take something?  I don’t think I did…
In the living room, I visit my cats, let them curl up around me.  They turn into snakes and start to writhe uncontrollably.
Breaking free from their coils, I stumble back to the bedroom.  It feels safer there, even with the silhouetted puppet curtains, shadows still moving.
After laying down for a while, sleep finds me.
Hours later, there are no more shadows.
The cats outside the bedroom door are still felines.
I feed them.  Light a candle.  Thank the higher powers that be for calming my glitching mind. 

 



Sam Strathman (he/him) is a writer, poet, visual artist, and author. Some of his work has appeared in Ghost City Review, The Quilliad, Steel Incisors, and other publications.  His debut poetry collection, Omnishambles, was published by Ice Floe Press (2023).  He is currently living on the traditional land of the Anishinaabe people.